Monday, January 24, 2011

LAN parties aka parties for nerds

I'm sure that none of you have ever attended a LAN party before.  If you have, welcome to the elite few...lol.

What is a LAN party, you ask?  

The official definition according to Wikipedia: "A LAN party is a temporary, sometimes spontaneous, gathering of people with computers, between which they establish a local area network (LAN), primarily for the purpose of playing multiplayer computer games. The size of these networks may vary from the very small (two people) to very large installations. Small parties can form spontaneously, but large ones usually require a fair amount of planning and preparation. As of 2010, the world record for the size of a LAN party is 12,754 connected systems, set at DreamHack, in Jönköping, Sweden." 

Whoa, that is a lot of computers...

The unofficial definition according to me: A LAN party is a gathering of dorky boys, including my husband, who stay up all night and most of the next morning, playing games all while consuming an ungodly amount of pizza, junk food, soda, and Red Bull.


I am the lucky wife who, in my short lifetime, has attended about 5 of these riveting parties.


I am sure that LAN parties are funner than a barrel full of monkeys for the people playing the games, but since I was never a computer game fan I spent most of those nights reading a book, watching a movie, or sleeping.  Occasionally I'd run around the room and randomly bang on people's keyboards who were winning to even the playing field for those who needed the help.  Who's going to stop a girl?  Plus, I was usually the only girl, so it was considered cute for the first two times and utterly annoying the rest of the time...lol.


A few Fridays ago we were invited to a friend's house for a LAN party.  Although my husband is not the computer gamer that he once was, we decided to go for old times' sake. 

Here's Chris, the host of the LAN party.  Pui and Kelly are in the background.
Here's my husband, Chris (a different Chris), and Joel at the start of the first round of Star Craft II.
I wasn't the only girl!  Hooray!
Computer hands.  Yup, this is as exciting as it gets...lol.  
At this particular party, though, there was some added excitement when a giant cockaroach decided to join in on the fun.  I screamed and my husband ran to get a shoe to smash it with.  While he was searching for a murder weapon, the cockaroach proceeded to attack Chris, who leap out of his chair yelling "Ugh it touched my foot!  Did you see it?!?  It totally touched my foot.  Gross!"  (I found this to be hilarious and laughed entirely too much.  Sorry Chris, but you jumping around yelling about the cockaroach was the funniest thing that I have seen in a long time.  I'll try not to laugh so hard the next time, but I am still kind of chuckling about it right now.)  Consequently, everyone else knew he was away from his computer and attacked his character causing him to lose the game.  The cockaroach was also attacked via my husband with a slipper and died as well.
Star Craft II up close.  Exciting isn't it?  Lol...

Though I still can't say that I'm even remotely interested in playing computer games, I did have fun hanging out with everyone.  We've all been friend's since high school and, with all our busy lives, barely get to see each other.  So if we have to use a LAN party as an excuse to get together, then you better believe that we'll be there.  Thanks for a fun time!  

Maybe we could do something a little more girl friendly next time?


**A little extra information because I love you all so much.

Looking to host your own server? 

Myhosting.com is a leading worldwide provider of superior, affordable and reliable hosting services, with over 50,000 web hosting customers in over 170 countries. Awesome, right?!?

Here are the links:
VPS Hosting by myhosting.com
Virtual Server by myhosting.com
Windows Server Hosting by myhosting.com

Go crazy my geeky friends, go crazy. :)

3 comments:

  1. Ahh, I remember my very first LAN party with you guys. Aww, the good ole days. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, didn't know that it could get worse than just video games... Gabe has never dragged me to a "LAN party." Shhhh, don't tell him... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol...oh yes. It can get much, much worse than just video games.

    I remember that Steff! We really were total dorks in high school. Good thing we're uber cool now! I hope that you feel better soon. Tell your hubby that he better not catch a worse cold than yours...lol.

    ReplyDelete